Changing the culture of shame around those of us who are quieter by speaking the unspoken and reframing 'quiet'
We believe that no one should feel alone,
broken or ashamed, the way that we did.
Talking about our self-doubt and our anxieties in social situations is still taboo. We tend to think we should be able to do certain things, like talk to strangers and speak up, just because other people seem to manage with ease. It can feel like we’re the only person struggling.
In reality, this is a huge, unspoken issue:
- over 1 in 10 people feel socially anxious (around 6.6 million adults in the UK!)
- and 2 in 5 people consider themselves to be shy
So many of us just feel awkward in social situations and think bad of ourselves for it; believing we're defective in some way or not good enough.
At the heart of it, for all of us, is that deeply painful feeling of believing we're flawed; 'less than' others and therefore not worthy of belonging; protecting ourselves by avoiding situations in which our flaws might be seen by other people the best we can. Missing so many of the good things in life and affecting our education, career, relationships, health and wellbeing.
We want to change this.
What we stand for
We're dreaming of a time when...
- all the strengths, skills and goodness in ‘quiet’ are recognised and appreciated as readily as being outgoing and comfortable in the spotlight is right now
- everyone has permission, support and safe spaces to gently stretch their comfort zones at their own unique pace
- we take off our masks and are open about the anxiety and self-doubt that we feel, knowing it's a normal part of the human experience and we are not alone
- we're all connected to a community of understanding, kindhearted people who can support us in working through these emotions and staying brave
...Imagine what this could do for you. And what a more courageous, compassionate and creative you, could do for the world.
How can we help you?
There were three key things that helped us to grow in confidence:
Connecting with people who have similar stories, experiencing genuine understanding and compassion
Growing through coaching and educating ourselves to change unhelpful thoughts, behaviours and beliefs
Stretching our comfort zones; gradually having a go at situations we found scary
For us, it was largely down to luck bringing the right people and opportunities to us, and finding the courage to open up and take risks without support. It’s taken many, many years to find our way alone.
Individually, we dreamt of a supportive space where it’s okay to talk and it’s okay to be quiet. A place where you know you’re not alone and you feel genuinely understood. And we can access all the support we need to grow our confidence together, becoming our best selves to live our lives the way we want and help other people along the way.
Together, we've grown a wonderful Quiet Community.
This is how we can help you...